Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the GBTA Academy?
The GBTA Academy delivers educational programs highlighting industry best practices and relevant global trends in managed business travel.
2. How is the new GBTA Academy different from the previous GBTA educational offerings?
The industry and the role of the travel management professional have evolved and GBTA is evolving too. GBTA is here to meet the needs of our members, offering best-in-class education programs through the new GBTA Academy.
3. Who is eligible for the GBTA Academy?
The Academy is for business travel professionals at every level of his/her career. There is always a "next step" on the GBTA learning path for each individual regardless of where they are presently in their professional career.
4. What is the difference between a certificate and a certification program?
A certificate is given following an education and training course that has specific learning outcomes. A certification is a standardized test that measures proficiency in the profession.
5. What is the Global Travel Professional™ (GTP) Certification?
The GTP will be the premier certification for the business travel professional. The certification will be a computer-based examination consisting of 125 multiple choice questions administered in a 3-hour timeframe.
6. When should I take the GTP Certification exam? Where will the first exam be given?
You may take the GTP Certification exam once you’ve prepared for the exam, completed the application process, and are deemed eligible to sit for the exam. The exam application is available now at gbta.org/certification. The first exam will be administered at the 2012 GBTA Convention in Boston.
7. What does this transition mean for my CTE, STP/SBTP, CCTE, CGTE, or SMMC?
All participants in these programs may retain their designations. All participants are members of the GBTA Academy.
- CTE, STP/ SBTP are equivalent to the Associate-Level
- CCTE, SMMC, CGTE are equivalent to the Manager-Level
- GLP is equivalent to the Leader-Level.
8. What’s the difference between the Global Leadership Professional™ (GLP) program/designation and the Global Travel Professional™ (GTP) certification?
The Global Leadership Professional™ (GLP) is the designation within the Leader-Level education program that centers on business strategy and leadership for senior managers in business travel. The Global Travel Professional ™ (GTP) is a certification process that is independent from educational programs or training courses. It is an exam used to measure proficiency in the competencies of the business travel profession.
9. Do I need to take any of the education programs (Associate, Manager or Leader) in order to sit for the GTP exam?
The education programs are not a requirement to sit for the GTP exam.
10. I have worked in the travel industry for over 10 years. How can the Academy help me at this point in my career?
Education and training makes individuals more knowledgeable and competitive in the marketplace. Education and certification programs promote life-long industry learning.
11. Where should I direct any questions?
Send your questions and ideas to the GBTA Academy team at email@example.com