Q: What is the GLP Program?
A: GLP stands for Global Leadership Professional® Program. The GLP Program offers the only masters-level courses for travel professionals. The strategic curriculum uses an interdisciplinary approach that addresses both the opportunities and challenges of conducting business in today’s environment.
The Global Leadership Professional® (GLP) Program consists of individual courses, the Certificate of Professional Development as well as the Global Leadership Professional® (GLP) Designation.
Q. Do I have to enroll in the complete program?
A: No. You are welcome to attend any course that is offered. Enrollment is per course for the COPD component.
Q. What is the cost for a course?
A. $1,150 for members and $1,650 for non-members. Registration includes tuition, extensive program materials and some meals. Fees do not include travel costs.
Q. Can I participate in the Certificate of Professional Development program and not pursue the Designation?
A. Yes. In fact you can participate in any course that is offered as part of the Certificate program and should you choose to complete four (4) (one in each competency) you will receive your Certificate of Professional Development.
Q: How many courses must I complete to receive a Certificate of Professional Development?
A: You must complete four sessions in each of the main competencies: management, marketing, leadership and finance.
Q: What is the Certificate of Professional Development?
A: The Certificate of Professional Development is obtained by successfully completing four sessions within twenty-four months, including one session in each of the four main competencies:
The Certificate of Professional Development is bestowed on behalf of GBTA Academy and Darden School of Business of the University of Virginia and is a prerequisite for the Global Leadership Professional® (GLP) Designation.
Q: How do I get my GLP Designation?
A: You must complete both the Certificate of Professional Development as well as a Global Leadership Professional® (GLP) Designation in order to officially complete the program, earning the use of the designation.
Q: What happens after I complete the Certificate of Professional Development? What is the Global Leadership Professional Designation?
A: After you complete the Certificate of Professional Development, you are then eligible to start the Global Leadership Professional® Designation. The Global Leadership Professional® Designation consists of several components:
- An in-person session with program Academic Director
- Over the following 12 months participants will work independently within their cohort on a project deliverable to benefit the business travel industry
- Presentation of cohort projects to their industry peers at the upcoming GBTA Convention
Q: How often is the GLP Designation offered?
A: The Designation program is offered every other year; 2017, 2019, 2021, etc.
Q: How much does the GLP Designation Program cost?
A: The Designation Program is $5,000 and you must be a GBTA member. Registration includes tuition, extensive program materials and some meals. Fees do not include travel costs.
Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: Cancellation requests must be submitted in writing to Kelly Moffett at email@example.com. Registrants who cancel prior to four (4) weeks of the start of the course will receive a refund less a $250 administrative fee. No refunds are given within four (4) weeks of the start of any given course.
Registrants who wish to defer their registration to a different course may do so prior to four (4) weeks of the start of the course and will be charged a $250 administrative fee. This $250 administrative fee is non-refundable. A deferral is a one-time option, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis and subject to space availability.
Q: What are some of the benefits of participating in the program?
A: The program offers a wide range of benefits to participants and their organizations:
- Join a network of peers from around the world: In addition to senior corporate travel managers, the program attracts executives from major travel suppliers and agencies from around the world so every class offers broad perspectives from diverse industry segments and geographic regions. Building collaborative relationships will positively contribute to the overall experience of an attendee.
- Understand core business knowledge: The Global Leadership Program provides essential business knowledge in the major business disciplines of leadership, finance, marketing and management. The program offers opportunities to practice creative leadership techniques, study the impact of decisions on financial performance, develop better decision-making skills, and learn techniques for achieving strategic advantage.
- Interact with top-ranked University of Virginia Darden School of Business Faculty: Darden’s faculty members are leading thinkers in various fields of business, offering expertise in the best current management practice from their own research and consulting with organizations in diverse industries around the globe. They are experienced at blending theoretical knowledge with real-time, real-world business applications.
- Apply learning to real-world business challenges: Participants are encouraged to bring a current challenge from their organizations to work on while they are at Darden. This is an opportunity to directly apply your new knowledge.
- Develop a team approach: All classes work in teams and engage in hands-on experience in problem-solving and strategy formulation. You can increase the power of this teamwork, and magnify other benefits of the program, by sending a team from your own organization.
- Earn recognition for your achievement: Participants who complete four sessions in a 24-month period are recognized with a Certificate of Professional Development.
Q: Where can I find a schedule of the courses?
A: You can view the schedule here.
Q: Why did GBTA change university partners?
A: In response to direct feedback from program participants, GBTA is constantly evaluating ways to position the program for future success and to continue to meet the evolving needs of our members and the industry. This change does just that.
Q: Why did GBTA choose to partner with the Darden School of Business of the University of Virginia?
A: The Darden School of Business faculty have been ranked #1 globally since 2004 by the Financial Times; The Economist ranked Darden #2 in the world in 2015; with a deep bench of top professors who are experts in the fields relevant to the GLP.
Q: Since GBTA changed university partners, will the program be different?
A: The quality of the program will remain unparalleled. As with all programs offered though, content and format will be assessed on an ongoing basis with enhancements made when deemed appropriate to continue the strong ROI for our participants.
Q: Will this change impact me if I’ve already taken a GLP course?
A: No, this change will have no impact on your current status in the program. Any courses completed previously will fully count towards your requirements for the program at-large.