About GBTA Project ICARUS
Project ICARUS, a GBTA Foundation initiative, started in 2006 by the Institute of Travel and Meetings (ITM) in the UK. Since that time it has grown to be the most widely recognized and respected Corporate Sustainability/Corporate Social Responsibility program within the global business travel and meeting industry.
This is a project led by and targeted primarily at national and international travel buyers/managers and their suppliers/intermediaries, who wish to integrate sustainability into the way they manage, run and supply travel and meetings programs.
Originally established to promote carbon reduction in travel management programs, it has since been widened to cover all aspects of sustainability.
Our aim is to build on the success created by ITM and create the definitive source of information, education and support for sustainability issues in the corporate travel and meetings industry.
We want to break new ground; the first global travel management sustainability body, representing the interests of the global travel and meetings industry. A project led by and targeted primarily at national and international travel buyers/managers, who wish to integrate sustainability into the way they manage and run travel programs.
To be the leading voice for sustainability in travel and meetings, globally.
The goals of Project ICARUS are to:
- Provide a forum for sharing and driving best practice and innovation sustainability in corporate travel and meetings on a global basis
- Create a platform for delivering member information and education
- Create the definitive source for sustainability issues by investing in tools and activities to enable Project ICARUS to inform, educate, and advise the business travel and meetings community about the importance of the social, environment and economic aspects of their activities
- Recognize global/regional organizations and individuals who excel in the field of sustainable business travel management and its supply chain
- Support development and continuous improvement of best practices, policies, tools and standards for on-going sustainable development
- Influence the political agenda globally and locally