Project ICARUS Sustainability Outstanding Achievement Awards Program
'Outstanding Achievement Awards' will be made annually on a regional basis to recognise leading buyers, sellers, intermediaries and sustainability professionals who have made a special contribution during the year.
Awards go to outstanding companies or industry professionals who can demonstrate leadership, innovation and commitment to developing sustainable business travel and meetings programs.
Entries are called for yearly by direct submissions to, or nominations by, the Project ICARUS global advisory board or regional committees and judged by a specially selected independent panel.
See below for recent award winners.
Watch this space for announcements of upcoming awards by region.
May 2014: Project ICARUS Announces Winners of the North American Sustainability Outstanding Achievement Awards 2014
From left to right:: Joseph Bates, Vice President, Research, GBTA Foundation,
- Joy Lehman, Global Sustainability Manager, The Hertz Corporation
- Mihar Thakkar Director Environmental Responsibility, United Airlines
- Kathy Jackson, Executive Vice President of Global Client Management, BCD Travel
- Mark Papale, Travel Operations and Travel Technology, Autodesk, Inc.
- Bernard Harrop, Head of Sustainability, Project ICARUS, GBTA Foundation
Project ICARUS is proud to announce the winners of the 2nd Annual North American Sustainability Outstanding Achievement Awards which were presented at the GBTA Foundation, Annual Gala Dinner & Silent Auction held on Monday, May 13th 2014 at the Crowne Plaza, Times Square in New York.
The awards recognize travel buyers, suppliers and intermediaries who can demonstrate outstanding leadership, innovation and commitment to delivering best in class sustainability programs, products and services across North America.
“The number of entries again exceeded our expectations and clearly reflects an increase in the number of companies building sustainability into their business travel and meetings programs.
All entries were of a high standard and the judging panel had a tough task in selecting the finalists and winners. All entries would be “worthy winners of an award”, said Bernard Harrop, head of sustainability Project ICARUS.
The winners are:
Travel Supplier: United Airlines
- United Airlines demonstrated a strong commitment from senior management, clear environmental/carbon savings metrics, future targets and comprehensive communications
Travel Intermediary: BCD Travel
- BCD Travel is recognized for their travel survival guide and 'smart' videos which help travelers maintain an effective balance between the 3 P's of sustainability (People, Planet and Profit).
Travel Buyer: Intel
- Intel showed strong commitment to the environment by developing a company guide to being green that embeds a range of activities into the process of planning and managing a meeting or event and the delivery of a substantial ROI.
Travel Team: Autodesk and The Hertz Corporation
- Working together, they increased usage of alternative fuel vehicles, increased overall high MPG vehicle utilization, lowered CO2 emissions, increased usage of Hertz 24/7 EVs and reduced fuel costs.
Congratulations to our Finalists:
- The ‘green supplier initiative’ and the “Travel Smarter” options for business travel have proven to be effective in helping achieve environmental goals and delivered a significant ROI
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)
- The 'Green Engage' group wide environmental system enables the management, measurement and reporting of the environmental impact on hotels
- Last year’s winner continues to display a strong ongoing commitment to sustainability in everything they do
Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- 'Make a Green Choice' - MAGC - guestroom sustainability environmental impact reduction program makes conserving water, energy and other resources rewarding for customers and great for the environment
September 2013: Project ICARUS Announces winners of the Outstanding Achievement Award Winners for 2013 in Europe and Australia/NewZealand
In the picture from left to right: Bernard Harrop, Head of Sustainability, Project ICARUS; Winner: Travel Supplier Transportation British Airways, Winner: Travel Supplier Intermediaries Carlson Wagonlit Travel, Winner: Travel Supplier: Hotels NH Hoteles, Catherine McGavock, Director, Operations – Europe, GBTA Europe
Australia / New Zealand
James Quinlan, General Manager Marketing & Service Delivery, Sabre Pacific