GBTA Convention 2017 Service Project
Proceeds from fees collected will be donated to benefit Cradles to Crayons.
|| Cradles to Crayons – The Giving Factory|
|| Saturday, July 15, 12:00pm - 4:00pm|
|| There is a $50 fee to participate in the GBTA Convention 2017 Service Project.|
To participate in the GBTA Convention 2017 Service Project, please sign up when you register for GBTA Convention 2017, or directly through the GBTA Foundation here.
GBTA Cares, an effort to aggregate resources from the travel community to support CSR initiatives globally, has selected the Boston affiliate of Cradles to Crayons for the 2017 Service Project. Cradles to Crayons (C2C) provides children living in homeless and low income situations the essentials they need to feel safe, warm, ready to learn, and valued. C2C provides children from birth to pre-teen with the clothing, books, safety equipment, and other basics they need to thrive.
On behalf of GBTA Cares, we welcome you to the Cradles to Crayons Giving Factory where together volunteers will sort, and package new and like-new donations into customized "C2C KidPacks" which will be distributed to disadvantaged children across the state through a collaborative network of local social service agencies.
Come roll up your sleeves with GBTA Cares and Cradles to Crayons and experience a tangible, hands-on volunteer opportunity!
- Registration 12:00-12:30
- Buses Depart the Boston Convention Center by 12:30pm
- Service Project: 1:00pm-3:30pm
- Depart the Cradles to Crayons for the Convention Center: 3:30pm-4:00pm
Volunteering at The Giving Factory
For safety in the warehouse, all volunteers should wear comfortable clothing (layers work best) and closed-toed shoes (no sandals or flip-flops). Parking is extremely limited at Cradles to Crayons. We encourage all volunteers to utilize the complimentary shuttles from the convention center.
What to Expect
- Upon arrival, a staff member will be available to greet your group and show you our registration process. Registration takes between 10 and 15 minutes depending on group size.
- Following sign in, a staff member will give a brief orientation on Cradles to Crayons including our mission and information on the children we serve.
- Your group will then be split into teams of 5-15 people and assigned to a volunteer work station. A C2C staff member will be available at each workstation to set your teams up and answer questions.
- Attendees must register and sign waivers prior to starting the work day.
- A Service Project registration area will be open from 12:00pm - 12:30pm the day of the event. Volunteers will check in, complete and submit the waiver, and collect their t-shirt
- Buses depart the convention center at 12:30pm
- Upon arrival, a welcome and safety presentation follows registration
- A bathroom, and first-aid kit is onsite
- Soda, water, and various snacks will be provided
- Parking is extremely limited. Please utilize complimentary shuttles departing from the Boston Convention Center at 12:30PM.
In addition to participating in the GBTA Convention 2017 Service Project, Cradles to Crayons accepts donations of a wide range of goods that are used by preteens of all ages, from infants on up. If your children used it lightly, C2C children can probably use it, too. Ideally, C2C would never have to dispose of a donated item. Please review the standards below to make sure that we can put your item to good use.
Current Most Needed Items
- Boys clothing sizes 7/8-18/20
- Girls clothing sizes 2T & 3T
- Winter coats sizes newborn-11/12
- Hats and Gloves
- Baby Board Books
- Toys for age 0-2
What They Accept
- Clothing (kids' sizes 0–20 and adult sizes Small & Medium)
- Shoes, sneakers, and sandals (infant/child sizes 0–13 and youth/adult sizes 1–10)
- Winter jackets
- New socks and underwear
- Books, especially baby board books
- Brand new arts and crafts/school supplies
- Baby supplies, especially bedding
- Diapers, all sizes (we also accept clean open diaper packs)
- Baby equipment, especially strollers and car seats within five years old
- Brand new toys (for birthday gifts)
- New hygiene supplies for ages 0 to 12
- Laundry detergent, batteries
What They Can’t Accept
- Due to the recent drop‐side crib recall, we are no longer accepting cribs of any kind. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Car seats over five years old
- DVDs/CDs/VHS tapes/computer games
- Religious and Holiday related books/toys
- Books about families (“I Love Mommy,” “Daddy and I”)
- Underwear/socks out of its package
- Violent toys/games
- Oversized plastic play structures and slides
- Large backyard toys, baby pools, and structures
- Stuffed animals
- Ice skates
- Used hygiene products/baby food/breast feeding supplies
- Used arts and crafts/school supplies
Donation Shipping Instructions
If you wish to mail your donations, please ship to:
Cradles to Crayons
155 North Beacon St.
Brighton, MA 02135
Please include the following information in your package:
GBTA Service Project 2017
Interested in Sponsoring the 2017 GBTA Cares Service Project? Please click here for more information.
For questions, please contact Kerry Gaylor at email@example.com, or 703.236.1169