Highlights from the Legislative Summit
The GBTA U.S. Legislative Summit returned this past week after a two-year pandemic hiatus with over 80 attendees coming to Washington D.C. to share GBTA’s stance with legislators about important issues. Attendees took to Capitol Hill for this event that empowers our industry to make our collective voices heard and participate in government issues to foster the future of business travel (with a few surprises along the way).
On Tuesday, Summit attendees heard perspectives from various members of Congress and other policy experts while learning and connecting with industry peers. During an afternoon break in the program, Summit attendees were able to watch live as GBTA’s CEO Suzanne Neufang testified at the Senate Commerce hearing on “Reviving Conventions & Tourism Through International Travel.” She presented five minutes of testimony and took questions from seven Senators. (Watch the full hearing and read Suzanne’s full written comments. )
Wednesday marked a full day of walking Capitol Hill for in-person visits with legislators.* Attendees met one-on-one with their state’s Senators and Representatives to share GBTA’s positions and advocate for policies that support the business travel industry. GBTA’s positions on three issues were presented to US legislators:
End Testing Requirements – April 11 House of Representatives
Decarbonizing Air Travel – SAFS
Faster Act 2022 – Keep the 9/11 Fees for Security
[*Fun fact: Summit attendees from Connecticut had a chance meeting with actor, Matthew McConaughey, who was in the Capitol Hill building at the same time.]
Are you in the U.S. and want to tell your legislators about the need to end COVID-19 testing requirements for vaccinated travelers re-entering the US? Use this link to a pre-filled letter that once completed will be sent electronically to your elected House Representative and both state Senators.
The GBTA Legislative Summit is a one-of-a-kind GBTA event that empowers you to be the voice of the business travel industry. By attending this event, you will:
• Meet one-on-one with Senators and Representatives to share opinions and advocate for policies that support the business travel industry
• Learn how Congressional debates and outcomes could impact the industry
• Hear perspectives from Administration Officials and Members of Congress
• Connect with other passionate industry professionals who want to make a difference
Attendees can earn 5 GTP® Recertification Credits.
*Updated on June 1, 2022
Vaccination or Negative Test: In concurrence with local regulations, GBTA won’t be requiring proof of vaccination or negative test. However, some Congressional offices are requiring proof of vaccination. GBTA will convey these requirements as soon as possible. However, it is recommended to bring proof of vaccination with you.
Masks Optional but Encouraged: Wearing a mask is a personal choice and we ask that everyone makes their choice responsibly. All attendees should be mindful and respectful of other attendees’ health choices.
GBTA may update any Covid requirements, as required by local laws/restrictions, no later than 3 days prior to the event. Attendees will be notified of any changes and will be sent instructions. Thank you in advance for helping us demonstrate safe event protocols to the industry!
*subject to change
• All cancellation requests must be made in writing to GBTA at [email protected]
• Cancellations are accepted until May 20, 2022.
• A full refund less a $75 administrative fee will be given for cancellations.
• No refunds will be given after May 20, 2022.
• There are no refunds for “no shows.”
• Refunds will be credited back to the original credit card used for payment.
• A GBTA attendee may transfer his/her registration to another eligible party if he/she is unable to attend.
• All substitution requests must be made in writing to GBTA at [email protected] and handled on the backend of the registration system.
• The substitute is responsible for any and all financial arrangements between the original registrant and the substitute.
• GTP Credit
Become a Sponsor
Don’t miss the opportunity to showcase your brand, generate leads and network with influential decision makers from across the country at the GBTA Legislative Summit. Learn more about sponsorship opportunities by downloading the Sponsorship Prospectus.
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
GBTA members will be advocating for Congressional support for these key items at the 2022 Legislative Summit. These issues will aid in the recovery of business travel and help to meet the coming challenges. For more information, contact Shane Downey, GBTA Vice President of Government and Community Affairs, [email protected].
• Testing Requirements Hinder Business Travel
• April 11 House of Representatives – End Testing Requirement
• Decarbonizing Air Travel – SAFS
• FASTER Act 2022 Issue Brief
• GBTA Sustainability Study – Policymaker Summary